Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Watching TV last night....

There is a cracking mini series on BBC1 at the moment on a Tuesday night called 'The Split'... we both watched it, or at least I did, and he looked at the screen, and then got bored.

The inability to follow plots and stories seems to have hit him, although he doesn't appear to have noticed. He no longer reads books, and rarely reads even the Reader's Digest which he used to enjoy.

I comment on the News which he insists on watching, only to realise he has not followed any of it......

Slightly amusing in a funny sort of way last night.. a lady came to the door selling raffle tickets, and he answered the door. It was for our local hospital, Musgrove Park, in Taunton. He turned the lady away before I could stop him, quite firmly telling her he did not want any tickets. After he sat down, I asked him why he didn't want any tickets when he had spent so long as a patient in that hospital, and only last year they actually saved his life!

His reply?

" Did they? Oh! I don't remember"

Too late the raffle ticket lady was long gone elsewhere in the village to sell her tickets to more willing buyers......

I knew today was going to be an awkward day when I couldn't get out of my dressing gown - a problem I do seem to have now and again. No matter which glasses I am wearing they always seem to be the wrong ones for the job I am trying to do.( long story about glasses, so just believe me)
My  dressing gown has ties on the inside to hold it in place before you fasten the belt - know what I mean- somehow when trying to untie them, I got into a terrible mess and the whole thing got knotted together! I was determined to get myself free, so a pair of scissors came into the play and eventually I could get on with my day, our day.. and we are going out to look at the bluebells at Blackbury Camp - I think they might well be over by now, but we rely on DD and 2 year old Jack to take us as we now no longer have a car.

Dementia does not only take your memory, it takes your car after a while because you are not reliable enough to drive, and my sight is no longer good enough, even though I have a license - which is useful as ID if nothing else - maybe one day I will get a passport instead, but then I can't go anywhere...

You see, dementia does not only effect the affected - my OH is blissfully completely unaware that his dementia has any effect on him at all - dementia effects the wives, partners, family and friends, quite often far more - to begin with.........

No comments:

Post a Comment